Welcome to Magazine Premium

You can change this text in the options panel in the admin

There are tons of ways to configure Magazine Premium... The possibilities are endless!

Member Login
Lost your password?

Real Talk: The Exploitation Of Lin

February 27, 2012
By

{per NBA protocol, some “keywords” have been highlighted in red below}

Am I the only one who thought it was bizarre that a one-hour slot on NBATV was reserved for the Jeremy Lin press conference All-Star Saturday?

Something tells me that Jeremy didn’t request this event. I guess the NBA and David Stern just deemed it necessary, you know, “for the fans.”

As deserving as Jeremy Lin is of all this media attention, I don’t like it…for him. The league is exploiting him unlike any other new toy in recent history.

The arrival of Yao Ming, the “rivalry” between Lebron & Carmelo…all these pale in comparison to ‘Linsanity’ at the NBA offices in Manhattan.

But other than some help getting a pimp new condo in Manhattan, Jeremy hasn’t seen a dime yet.¬† His Nike shoe deal was already signed back when he left Harvard and his minimum contract with the Knicks is no larger than it was 2 weeks ago (okay, so it’s guaranteed now).

Meanwhile, Stern is pushing Lin hard, real hard…..especially in China. Which is hilarious to me considering that Jeremy Lin‘s family is actually from Taiwan…and he himself is from Palto Alto, CALIFORNIA. I was up there for Thanksgiving and, trust me, it is no Chinatown.

I guess whatever helps grow the game and puts more basketballs in peoples’ hands around the world is a good thing for bloggissists like myself. But it’s a little annoying, especially when we’re watching guys go down with bizarre injuries all season as the owners cram too many games into too few a time just to help them recoup some of their lost revenue from the Lockout.

The NBA is bleeding its players dry.

I love basketball as much as the next guy, but I’d rather watch a fresh team every other night than a beat down squad 5-6 times a week. This same greed is what’s fueling all the Lin hype.

All those Linsanity t-shirts and coffee mugs being sold out there in the world and my man hasn’t seen one dime of it. I just fear that when this bubble bursts…or, more likely, subsides…Jeremy will be left behind like a lot of overnight successes¬†we’ve witnessed.

Anybody seen Leon Powe lately? The guy was undrafted and yet single-handedly won a game for the Boston Celtics in the 2008 NBA Finals. The next season he blew out his knee and today isn’t even in the league. The man never got paid…something I fear could happen to Jeremy Lin.

Sure the NBA would find him some kush-y job with Basketball Without Borders or stick him in some stuffy satellite office in China. But is that what a guy like him has earned with his years of hard work? More importantly, is that a big enough cut from all the $ earned on his unassuming back just this season?

I don’t know what fortunes he’ll attain, but I hope that Jeremy Lin plays at least 20 years in the NBA…..if for nothing else than to stick it to the league by earning a nice, fat, juicy pension.

Follow me at twitter.com/@NBAKnez

BlogNBAsketball is on Facebook, like it?

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to Real Talk: The Exploitation Of Lin

1. steve on February 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm

it’s a business. i don’t mind the league and Knicks making cash of Lin. I just hope he’s compensated this summer.

• Tharida on April 29, 2012 at 6:43 pm

To a large degree, yes. But you of all plpoee should understand that it isn’t his race, or that he went to Harvard or any of that. Put simply, he’s hot. He’s what’s popping. Time understands that and its their only interest. The US has been waiting for an opportunity to break bread in China forever. Remember Yao? Who else you know gets voted into the All-star game ever single year, injured or not, accomplished or not. These marketing folks know what they are doing.

2. Slater on March 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Jeremy’ll get paid this summer. Let James Dolan get his $.

• Sachin on May 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

This is bigger than baalstbekl. It’s bigger than sports. Taiwanese American, Ivy leaue, Undrafted, D League player. MSG stock is up 10% since Lin started playing, close to it’s all time high. Highest jersey sales in the league since he started playing. Huge Asian population in NYC and around the world that the Knicks and NBA will make millions off of. There is a lot going on outside of baalstbekl that landed him the Time mag cover.

3. Marian on April 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm

how can you being a blogger even ask the quesoitn of is it too soon to be on mag covers. it wasnt too soon to blog about him everywhere else right? it wasnt too soon to get the back page of daily news and post and all that. you better than anybody should know that this might not last till the playoffs so get money while the money is there to get. kobe will still be here, lebron been on the cover already but he will also still be here.jeremy lin might not be here next month and thats millions of dollars being lost if u dont capitalize on that shit now. if africans arent already selling jeremy lin winter hats and tshirts and shit they fuckin up

4. Nur on May 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Ok lets be honest, if Lin was any other race than Asian he would only be meneiontd as a top candidate for rookie of the year or most improved since this is his 2nd year. Yes his play has been terrific but the East tops teams haven’t had a shot at him and we still have yet to see how he matched up against a top-tier point guard i.e. Rose, Westbrook, Paul .